What is the course about?
This mixed ability class is suitable if you have already attended lipreading classes and would like to maintain and develop your lipreading. You will practise using lipreading for everyday communication, backed up with lipreading theory.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- learn which sounds can be seen, which look alike and why
- develop an awareness of other skills used to help lipread: memory, concentration, observation, awareness of rhythm, situation, context, facial expression and body language
- there will be information on useful equipment, services and any new developments relevant to hearing loss
- you will be given practical advice on how to manage situations to make it easier to lipread and make the best use of any residual hearing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise which speech sounds/shapes are helpful when lipreading, which are less helpful and which may cause confusion.
- use strategies/tactics that help to minimise lipreading difficulties.
- update and share information relevant to adults with an acquired hearing loss.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have an acquired hearing loss and will use spoken English to communicate with others.
Straightforward written sentences are used in exercises and on the board to confirm spoken words.
You may have attended lipreading classes before or you may have no previous experience of lipreading.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A variety of teaching methods will be used in each session including structured exercises, drills, prose, role play, quizzes and practical work. Students will work in large groups, smaller groups and pairs. Information may be shared by means of handouts, demonstrations, discussions or invited speakers.
In term 1 this will be taught through a mixture of live streaming with a tutor and pre-filmed content for home study.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pen, notepad and A4 folder.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
From this course you will be able to progress to other lipreading classes of whatever level decided by mutual agreement and discussion.