What is the course about?
In these 6 sessions we will follow the main development of Vème république, the reasons and principles of the
constitution, the ways the different Présidents implemented it and shaped France. We will also discuss the pros and cons of this semi-présidentiel regime.
What will we cover?
- The birth of the Vth Republic in the shadow of the Algerian war
- The evolution of the Vth Republic since 1958
- The different French presidents
- Some crisis the regime overcame; Mai 68, alternances, cohabitations
- A divided France along prejudicial and political lines
- The “ surprise ” of E. Macron.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand and explain how the “ Vème République ” has been shaping France since 1958
- comprehend how the politic regim impacts on French politics issues.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have an advanced level of French (level 4 or 5), as the class will be delivered in French.
Some additional documents will be available in English.
You do not need to be an accomplished historian to enjoy the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a lecture, and is therefore tutor-led. Your participation however will be requested. You might be ask to read
some short historical documents such as Dreyfus letters ‘extracts.
You will also learn by looking at pictures and watching some movies’ extracts, such as Presidents biographies and speeches extracts. You will be watching and ask to comment news bulletins and extracts of historical documentaries.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
More cultural website. See website.