What is the course about?
This course begins with image and artwork development in Adobe Illustrator. You will create a cover design that can be laser cut or etched in leather. Designs can come from a wide range of resources such as your own images or photographs. 2 small samples will be created as developmental work befor finalising your book cover. You will learn how to create a flexible 'Longstitch' notebook from folded paper, using pamphlet stitch and your leather.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to using Illustrator: exploring basic drawing and selection tools, importing and tracing images.
- Introduction to the digital facilities
- Design and laser-cut leather to use as a cover for a book
- Use a template to design a book cover
- Create an A5 longstitch binding.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use Illustrator to create a simple vector file suitable for laser cutting or etching.
- Make and evaluate 2 laser cut samples and understand how to etch or cut using leather.
- Design a piece of laser-cut leather to use as a cover for a flexible, long stitch binding.
- Apply laser-cutting technology to small bookbinding and personal project ideas.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner’s course, no previous experience of laser cutting needed. Some experience of using Photoshop or Illustrator is desirable but not necessary. The basics will be taught.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught by demonstration, individual and group tuition. The course is structured to manage the work within the class but some preparation work carried out between classes may be helpful.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• A USB stick to take away any files you make.
• A notebook, pen and visual references for inspiration such as drawings, photographs, images from magazines etc.
• Leather will be supplied, however students may wish to bring their own small samples of leather for experiments after discussion with the tutor after the first session. Please note: Leather must be vegetable tanned.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current offer for complemtary courses.