What is the course about?
This is a short introductory course to laser cutting and its potential for various practical outcomes. We will use Adobe Illustrator on iMacs to create or customise a simple template which you will then send to cut on our Speedy 300 laser cutter. On this course learners will customize a purse design using digital engraving techniques in a choice of coloured leathers.
What will we cover?
- Basic drawing and image tracing techniques in Adobe Illustrator
- Designing and personalising engraving designs
- Saving digital files for laser cutting
- Laser cutting and hand finishing purse designs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use various tools in Adobe Illustrator
- Design and customize a simple purse design
- Gain an understanding of the laser cutting process
More experienced learners:
- create their own shape instead of working from a template
- play with different line thicknesses to add complex details to leather engravings.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for absolute beginners. No previous experience necessary although if you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator you can use the time to build on your basic knowledge. We will be working on iMacs.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a short, punchy tutor lead workshop. Your will primarily work alone on your own file, with opportunity to share and discuss ideas with you peers throughout. There will be opportunity for discussion and idea sharing as the course progresses. No work is required outside of class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring your imagination! You may wish to research 'laser engraved leather' to get an idea of different effects made possible using the laser cutting process. Included in the course cost is the price of the leather purse and fixings.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VW503 Laser cut a ring
VW442 Digital Surfaces.