What is the course about?
This is a short introductory course to laser cutting and its potential for various practical outcomes. We will use Adobe Illustrator on iMacs to create or customise a simple template which you will then send to cut on our Speedy 300 laser cutter. On this course all learners will produce their shape on 3mm birch plywood.
What will we cover?
- Basic drawing and image tracing techniques in Adobe Illustrator
- Designing and personalising wooden jewellery
- Saving digital files for laser cutting
- Laser cutting and finishing jewellery designs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use various tools in Adobe Illustrator
- Design and customise a simple piece of jewellery
- Describe the laser cutting process
More experienced learners:
- Create your own shape instead of working from a template
- Play with different strokes to add detail.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for absolute beginners. No previous experience necessary although if you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator you can use the time to build on your basic knowledge.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a short, punchy tutor lead workshop. Your will primarily work alone on your own file, with opportunity to share and discuss ideas with you peers throughout. There will be a chance for discussion and idea sharing as the course progresses. No work is required outside of class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring your imagination! You may wish to research 'laser cut fashion jewellery' to get an idea of different shapes and forms made using the laser cutting process. Included in the course cost is the price of one piece of completed jewellery (one brooch back OR one chain/leather thong).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- VW112 Introduction to laser cutting for paper and fabric
- VV361 Introduction to laser cutting for jewellery
- VG486 Adobe Illustrator: stage 1.