Learn digital video editing
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VG207
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This is an introduction to the professional editing programme DaVinci Resolve and the basic principles of editing moving image footage. We'll guide you through the essential tools and how to work with professionally shot material to cut your own movie. We will cover various aspects of editing, both the technical and the more conceptual - including inserts and overlays, A/B rolls and narrative sequencing concepts, sound management and output.
What will we cover?
Have an overview of the Da Vinci Resolve interface
Understand the basics of the editing process
Importing footage (with audio)
Performing some basic edits like insert and overlay
Export your project in an appropriate format.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify different windows and their roles in Da Vinci Resolve
- Import footage with audio
- Perform an insert and overlay edit
- Tell the difference between the two
- Use key frames to manipulate the sound
- Export the project (make a movie) in an appropriate format.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for complete beginners/ learners, though experience with other editing software will be an advantage. Basic computer literacy and skills are also important.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learners will be expected to join and participate in zoom sessions and activities. Google Classroom is also used. Full details of this will be provided on enrolment and a reminder email sent out 3 days before the course starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
• We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each session starts.
• You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
• You will need access to DaVinci Resolve on your computer (please test it runs before class! Downloading it is not enough).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Have a look at our vast film and video offer on the links above. Alternatively feel free to contact the department on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options with our friendly subject specialists.
Lily is a freelance film editor and consultant. Her main work over the past 10 years has been in helping people turn their dreams and visions into interesting films and successful artworks. She specialises in film editing, but also consults on all other aspects of film making and fine art. “To me, helping people find the stories the really want to tell and turn them into enjoyable and interesting films is uniquely rewarding and deeply fulfilling. I am particularly interested in enabling people’s own capacity, teaching them both practical skills (e.g. use of software and technical aspects of filmmaking) alongside conceptual underpinnings and critical engagement (version of visual literacy).” She has been teaching film and video related subjects ever since her own postgraduate student days. She is also an award-winning and internationally exhibited/collected artist.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.