Learn model animation
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VK577
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Over the duration of the course you will be introduced to the technique of Model Animation you will be shown a range of different types of professional puppets as seen on TV and shown how to make your own simple stop-frame puppet.
You will be taught how best to animate a puppet character with a series of exercise’s focusing on performance, timing, characterisation and other key elements that will improve your animation. Finally to showcase your skills you will record your own short animated sequence with added sound or music.
What will we cover?
The course is designed to introduce you to various styles of traditional Stop-frame Animation – Over the six sessions of the course you will be introduced to:
- How to make a simple professional cost effective stop-frame puppet
- Explore a range of different types of actual professional puppets as seen on TV.
- Preparing, researching and animating your puppet focusing on performance related timing and movement.
- Using a digital camera to capture stop motion and Premiere pro to edit your clips and composite green screen backgrounds
- Animating and producing your own short sequence to showcase your animation skills with added sound and voices as required.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Design and make a simple but effective Stop-frame puppet.
- Understand what makes a good animation and the preparations required for good performance.
- Plan and create a short thumbnail storyboard
- Understand how to create your own traditional stop-frame puppet animation film using a digital camera capture software.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner’s class but this course is suitable for those who wish to polish up their skills or try a new technique of animation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, and individual assistance. Any work outside the class is recommended but optional.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in its Film and Animation studios.
Please bring a USB stick or external hard drive to store your work.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in digital and traditional animation techniques, including After effects, Cinema 4D lite, Animate CC and Photoshop. We also offer courses in Film making, illustration and drawing if you wish to improve your film making, editing , sound recording , character design, illustration or drawing skills.
Stephanie Griffiths is a BAFTA award winning animator with over 20 years professional experience working on numerous well known children’s animated programmes. As well as a string of credits in broadcast model and drawn animation, Stephanie has produced experimental films creatively combining animation and live action. She is also an accomplished puppet maker and puppeteer. Teaching and mentoring has been an integral part of Stephanie’s practice and she has facilitated and mentored a wide range of innovative animation and art projects working with different communities and international artists.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.