What is the course about?
This course will give you a general introduction to drawing with colour. You will explore a variety of different techniques giving you an insight into the possibilities for making drawings and sketches in colour. Drawing inspiration from different sources, you will experiment with a more expressive use of colour in combination with a range of drawing techniques including mark-making, line, tone and gesture.
What will we cover?
- Information about choosing suitable supports for drawing materials
- Drawing techniques used to create different visual effects including mixed media
- Basic colour theory and how to apply different colour systems
- Ways of developing ideas about a subject through drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Apply basic colour theory to modulate colour
- Draw with a more personal use of colour
- Explore visual elements i.e. format, shape, scale etc. to develop a composition
- Select and explore suitable subject matter.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for which some basic drawing skills would be useful but not essential. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical work will involve drawing from observation using a variety of materials including pencils, pen and ink and oil and chalk pastels. There will also be demonstrations, individual guidance, group discussions and handouts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials are included but you may invest in some additional pastels and papers. Advice will be given in the first session.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK’s leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk.
*Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- VH839 Contemporary Drawing Sketchbook
- VB640 Mixed Media and Drawing Projects
- VM501 Drawing into Painting, VH813 Landscape Drawing, VH849 Inspired by plants and flowers: working with pastels.