What is the course about?
A really enjoyable introduction to just some of the different methods for drawing in colour, with guided structured exercises using a range of materials. There will be time to explore various approaches to using colour, for example: tonal contrast, to emphasise volume, and for expression of mood; to enable you to gain confidence and skills in your drawing.
What will we cover?
- a basic introduction to the properties of colour
- light and shade using colour
- alternative techniques to create colour contrasts with various drawing materials.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- create tonal contrasts in colour (light & shade )
- describe volume through colour
- start to explore different approaches to mark-making in colour
- start to explore different ways to make contrasts in colour
- gain confidence & awareness of the potential of colour.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for you if you have some basic drawing experience and want to extend your skills, or if you want to try a new approach to drawing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through practical tasks, brief demonstrations, with some individual tutoring & group discussion. Suggestions for homework will be given as an option.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All drawing materials & cartridge paper are provided. You may want to bring a small personal sketchbook.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Drawing 2, Drawing 3, Mixed-media and sketchbook courses.