What is the course about?
• exploring the potential of the medium of ink and washes for sketching on location, recording ideas and for creating studies for more sustained works.
• providing a supported but expansive setting in which to hone personal skills and build confidence
• introducing a variety of application techniques.
What will we cover?
• Working from direct observation
• Using reference photographs and online images as source material
• Pens, brushes and non standard drawing tools
• Wet into wet technique
• Movement in washes
• Papers and stretching paper
• Mark making.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify suitable opportunities and subjects for pen and wash drawings
• Demonstrate an understanding of suitable papers and tools to use with washes
• Apply ink and wash techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all levels , however, some drawing experience would be helpful (e.g. on the course 'Drawing 1' or equivalent).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The session is studio based – you will work from direct observation.
Examples of techniques and materials will be shown, demonstrated and discussed.
Handouts and contextual images will be used.
A series of short practical activities will be set based around the techniques demonstrated.
These will be supported by one-to-one guidance and an informal review at the close of the session.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course fee covers the basic materials such as cartridge paper and inks. If you have favourite drawing pens etc or would like to use specialist paper then please bring these with you.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details