What is the course about?
This course will support you in your English and maths studies. It will help you improve your English and maths by helping your find the ways of studying best suited to you. It will help you with your dyslexia, dyscalculia, attention difficulties, memory issues, sounds recognition, reading whole words, understanding longer pieces of writing.
What will we cover?
We will work on the following areas:
• how to be increase confidence in your own learning especially in English and maths
• how to identify the areas you need most help in
• how to set your own learning goals
• how to improve your memory
• how to recognse English sounds
• how to deal with attention and concentration difficulties
• how to develop your vocabulary in maths and English
• how to read and produce longer and complex sentences.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be more confident in your own learning especially in English and maths
• identify the areas you need most help in
• identify the best ways of addressing your specific learning challenges
•set your own learning goals
• improve your memory strategies
• recognse different English sounds and how they relate to letters
• identify specific strategies to deal with your attention and concentration difficulties
• develop your vocabulary in maths and English
• read, understand and produce longer and complex sentences.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for learners at Entry level English and maths who need specific support with their individual learning challenges to help them in their English and maths studies. You will need to complete an initial assessment or be on an English or maths course at City Lit to be accepted on this course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a supportive learning environment which will help students becomes more independent learners. We will crreate games and tasks that relate directly to your specific learning challenges. There will be individual and group work. And we will all try to help each other improve.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no extra costs to this course but you will need to bring a pen, paper and file to every class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You will be able to take what you have learned from this course into your regular English and maths classes as well as your learning in general. Ask your tutor for advice.