Learning to use your iPhone
Time: 10:00 - 17:30
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
Course Code: CMB05
Choose a start date
Duration: 1 session
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will help you make the most of your iPhone. You will focus on from how to set up your new iPhone, how to transfer data from your old smartphone to your new one, how to set up mail, contacts, and calendars, how to use iMessage, FaceTime and your Camera, how to use Notes and how to download apps and games.
What will we cover?
• setting up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up Wi-Fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transferring data from your old phone
• setting up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• setting up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• setting up Google sync
• using iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• using FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• using your Camera including fast camera access, launching it with Siri, taking better photos and editing them
• creating new Notes, editing and deleting them, and adding photos to them
• downloading apps and games.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use your iPhone confidently and make the most of its main features
• set up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up Wi-Fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transfer data from your old phone
• set up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• set up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• set up Google sync
• use iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• use FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• use your Camera including fast camera access, launch it with Siri, take better photos and edit them
• create new Notes, edit and delete them, and add photos to them
• download apps and games.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for those who wish to improve their general digital literacy and in particular those looking to become more confident on their iPhone – a computer in your pocket!
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring your own iPhone. Please also bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is part of our general digital skills programme. We recommend our Becoming Confident series to gain a good foundation in digital skills. This programme includes:
• Getting started: becoming confident on your computer and online (complete beginner)
• Getting started: learning about your smartphone (complete beginner)
• Getting started: becoming confident on Instagram and TikTok (complete beginners)
• Getting started: becoming confident on Facebook and Twitter (complete beginners
• Becoming confident with digital skills: on your computer and online (beginner)
• Becoming confident in file management and Windows 10 on your PC (beginners)
• Becoming confident in file management and Windows 11 on your PC (beginners)
• Making sense of Windows 11
• Becoming confident on the cloud: OneDrive and Google drive - a new way of sharing and managing your files (foundation)
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Becoming confident and secure with mobile data: safely managing and syncing your files and accounts across your computer, smartphone and tablet (foundation)
• Becoming confident in digital skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (beginner)
• Becoming confident on PowerPoint 365 (beginner)
• Becoming confident on Outlook 365 (beginner)
• Becoming confident on Word 365 (beginner)
• Becoming a confident online citizen: developing your problem-solving and research skills for inside and outside work (foundation)
• Becoming a confident online citizen: staying safe and protecting your data on your PC and smartphone (foundation)
• Becoming a confident online citizen: from bills, banking, and shopping to government services, job applications and streaming (foundation)
You can also do classes in the maths and English areas.
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 8078 048.