What is the course about?
This course gives you the opportunity to improve your computing skills and IT knowledge, learn new software and gain a recognised qualification awarded by the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS), Level 1 ECDL award in IT user skills. You will learn the general skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint that you need for working in today’s workplace ,for example in a junior administrative post.
What will we cover?
We will cover three main areas.
• Word Processing – you will learn how to use a range of essential functions of Word to produce appropriate, straightforward or routine documents - including creating documents, inputting different types of information, saving and organising your files, editing, formatting, using tables, arranging page layout
• Spreadsheet software – you will learn to use a range of basic tools and techniques in Excel to produce spreadsheets – including creating, saving and organising spreadsheets, inputting data, editing and formatting information, creating and editing charts, organising page layout and printing.
• Presentation software – you will learn how to create a variety of text based or diagram based slide shows and lecture notes using PowerPoint. Some of the main functions, you will learn include: how to input different types of information, create, save and organise slides, edit and format your slides, run a slide show and print it.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• gain a Level 1 ECDL Award in IT User Skills
• use word processing software to produce documents including :
create documents, input different types of information, save and organise your files, edit and format documents use tables, organise page layout
• use an Excel spreadsheet to perform calculations and create charts including:
create, save and organise spreadsheets, input data, edit and format information, create and edit charts, organise page layout and printing.
• use PowerPoint to create a slide presentation including:
how to input different types of information, create, save and organise slides, edit and format your slides, run a slide show and print it.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is Level 1 qualification for students at general beginner level. It is ideal if you want to develop your skills in the main programs used in today’s workplace to prove your competence to employers and gain a formal recognition of your IT skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. Most work is individualised and an interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. However, you need to attend every class and be ready to prepare for the exam. You will need to practise outside the classroom.You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do either at the same time or after this course. The immediate progress is Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (ECDL Extra) But there is also a Pathway to ECDL course if you are not confident enough to move straight to ECDL. You can also do courses without an exam. We have a number of courses on Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint many of which are specifically geared to helping you in the workplace. We also have IT Skills for the Office: an introduction, Making sense of Windows 10 and Digital skills for getting better work.You may also be interested in our How to be an Administrator courses.
Your tutor will advise you on the best course to do. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.