What is the course about?
This qualification is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in BSL at level 3 on a range of topics that include everyday language used in the:
- fluency in the use of BSL at level 3 in a variety of situations, topics and registers in productive and receptive skills
- advanced knowledge of the structure of BSL
- appreciation of the Deaf Community and its culture and relevant issues
- practical experience in a productive working environment.
What will we cover?
You will learn productive, receptive and conversational skills at advanced level in a wide range of topics including Sign Linguistics knowledge:
- home life
- social / recreational activities
- education and training
- consumer issues and daily living
- Deaf history and culture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- develop an advanced knowledge of the structure and function of British Sign Language and an understanding of the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture and a good practice in particular areas of professional activity
- develop knowledge and skills in BSL Linguistics and Grammar
- able to follow conversations and discussions delivered at normal speed on a range of topics in different work and social situations
- able to contribute BSL in a range of work-related and social situations
To achieve the full level 3 certificate in BSL you will need to pass all three exam units. These are:
Unit 320 : Sign Linguistics Knowledge (a written assessment paper)
Unit 321 : Understand varied Sign Language in a range of work and social situations (a conversation is watched on DVD, followed by a written assessment paper)
Unit 322 : Use varied British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations (a topic is researched in depth and presented; followed by a filmed discussion about the presentation).
All units are externally assessed by Signature assessors.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for those who already have competence in Signature's BSL level 2 examination and have been recommended to level 3 in BSL.
You will be required to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and notes as part of the preparation for the presentations and Sign Language assessments, as well as read instructions for exercises.
An interview will be required before enrolment, to assess your signing. You will need to bring a copy of your Level 2 in BSL certificate on the interview day.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- classroom interaction
- pair / group work
- role play / simulation
- other activities
- group discussion
- watching video clip for receptive skills
A considerable amount of additional home study will be required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
DVDs and books are available for loan from the City Lit library.
'SignworldLearn' on-line resource is included in the course fee.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully pass the Signature Level 3 assessments you can progress to Level 4 in BSL.