What is the course about?
Our level 4 course will concentrate on developing your use of and development of BSL to level 4 standard.
What will we cover?
The course will consist of 56 hours of learning. The range of topics are similar to other BSL examination boards and include knowledge of some advanced linguistics that you will need to explain and apply.
• Welfare issue
• Entertainment and art.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
understand and use BSL at level 4 standard. In particular:
• Understand and use extended signed communication in wide range of work and social domains.
• Understand and use an extended range of grammatical features and complex structures.
• Be able to relay information from written English to BSL.
• Be able to explain the use of BSL grammatical features relating to specific aspects of linguistics.
• Be able to analyse the linguistic complexity of your BSL usage, and to develop independent strategies for continuous application of advanced linguistic principles.
At the end of the course, your tutor will discuss with you what you need to develop further. You will receive a City Lit attendance certificate.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- You should be competent in using British Sign Language at level 3 and be interested in developing your knowledge and skills. The course is aimed at those who work with deaf people or would like to work with deaf people in future.
- You will be required to have some basic literacy skills, as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations, prepare brief notes for presentations and read some instructions for exercises.
- You will need to have an interview for the course to assess your BSL skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Classroom interaction
- Group work
- Pair work
- 1:1 feedback session
- Group Discussion
- Watching video clips for receptive skills
A considerable amount of additional home study will be required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can study part 1 of the Level 6 in BSL
We also provide individual 1-1 coaching for those who would find this helpful.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details