What is the course about?
Engage in a variety of techniques for an exploratory approach to life drawing. Explore both analytical and experimental approaches and the relationship between them in the drawing process. Explore the role of spontaneity, perception and empathy to find a sense of meaning in the figure.
What will we cover?
- We will explore a range of ways to stimulate a fresh and innovative response to drawing the figure.
- There will be guided exercises enabling you to develop a deeper understanding of drawing and the value of line, expressive mark-making, composition, and the role of imagination.
- We will explore a broad variety of drawing media and mixed media to inspire new ideas.
- We will also seek inspiration in artists’ work.
- You will be introduced to ways of evaluating your work and making informed decisions regarding its progression.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
See and draw proportion of the human form and make imaginative interpretations. Explore your own personal response to what you see. Experiment with materials and techniques to produce exciting drawings.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for those with some experience in life drawing who wish to refresh their practice or stimulate new ways of working.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical demonstrations, individual tutor support, group appraisal and informal discussion, looking at artist images.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course will feed into Life Drawing and Life Painting courses at all levels as well as general drawing and painting courses. See also Essence of Movement courses with English National Ballet.