Life drawing after work
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VM419
Choose a start date
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Working with a variety of life models, you will be shown ways of drawing using light and shadow and methods to measure proportion. You will draw in various materials including charcoal and pencil, making drawings from standing, sitting and reclining poses for varying lengths of time, you will gain a good foundation in life drawing skills.
What will we cover?
- Each week you will be taken through a different project, you will look at proportions of the body and the use of tone and line in representing the life model.
- Your tutor will introduce drawing exercises designed to improve your observational figure drawing
- We will look at the historical context of life drawing and look at examples of inspiring figure drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a range of drawing materials and techniques in the context of life drawing
- Represent a range of tone (light and dark) to create volume in the human form
- Explore 'foreshortening' techniques
- Have improved accuracy in drawing bodily proportions
- Have increased confidence in observational drawing generally.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous life drawing experience needed, some very basic drawing experience either on a course, or in your own time would help, This is an introduction to working directly from the nude life model.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical work in the studio, with an introduction to each session, and demonstration by the tutor. Individual tutoring with regular feedback and some discussion in the group. Work outside the class is optional.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All drawing materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many life drawing an life painting courses on offer, your tutor can advise on your next step.
Luke Jones is a practising artist working in both 2D and 3D, he studied at Chelsea school of art and Norwich School of art (currently called NUA) He has always been fascinated by observational art both in 2D, drawing and painting mostly in oil paint and in sculpture, mostly working with clay modelling and simple casting processes Portraits and figures are the central subjects to most of my current output I’ve undertaken portrait commissions both in paintings and sculptures and I have also worked with theatre making sculptures for a stage play
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.