What is the course about?
Explore new approaches to life drawing through quicker responses to the nude. As our model delivers a range of short poses we will respond using drawing techniques and consider anatomy, structure, volume, tone, colour, mark-making and more. We will also look at drawings by a range of artists who use shorter drawing sessions to create completed pieces, or as a springboard to develop their work further.
What will we cover?
- Over the day we will look at and respond to the nude in new ways.
- Working with a variety of media, we will make drawings where observation, intuition, immediacy and time are of the essence – the resulting work will range from the minimal to more bold and expressive work, and will provide you with an opportunity to reflect on your work and where you can take it.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw the nude body with more confidence using a variety of different methods
- Understand how a shorter drawing time can benefit and enhance your work
- Reflect on your initial, fast drawings and make decisions about further development with more confidence
- Identify work by artists working with the same or similar ideas.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Drawing experience is essential – you should be familiar with drawing concepts such as quality of line, contours, proportion and tone although these will be discussed in context during the session. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration and practical exercises. One to one and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided but you are welcome to bring any extra or special materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Life drawing
- Portraits 1
- Life painting.