What is the course about?
On this practical course you will discover some of London’s hidden urban gardens and explore their photographic potential. Whether focusing on the close ups of flowers and nature to garden design and its urban context you will learn how to enhance the composition, colour and drama of your image through the use of framing, light, depth of field, exposure and shutter speed.
What will we cover?
- An awareness of effective garden photography
- A range of composition techniques and their effects
- Using Exposure, depth of field and shutter speed to enhance your shot
- Get the most from natural light. Understand the effect of direction and movement of light
- Using Flash to increase colour saturation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate a critical awareness of effective garden photography
- identify how different composition enhances the drama and meaning of a photograph
- Use exposure, depth of field and shutter speed to enhance your shot
- maximise the benefits of natural light. Understand the effect of direction and movement of light
- Use Flash to boost colour in an image.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course but is also useful for photographers who would like to revise the use of the manual controls on their camera.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs.
Please note: The first session of this course will be taught in the photography studio at City Lit and the subsequent 4 sessions will be taught on location at different Gardens within 30 mins travelling time from City Lit. Locations will include the newly designed gardens at Kings Cross and the Barbican. Timetable and location of visits will be confirmed after enrolment and closer to the date of course.
Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own DSLR camera with you to the course. You are also advised to wear comfortable shoes and bring a waterproof coat and comfortable clothes.
It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City lit has over seventy different practical and theoretical photography courses.
To find out more about these courses just enter the subject name in the search box at www.citylit.ac.uk.