What is the course about?
This course will introduce you to the craft of composing beautiful photographs and exploring colour controls creatively. We'll look at shapes, lines, colours, lighting, framing, the rule of thirds and simple camera controls to improve your results.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Framing and cropping
- Understanding and applying the ‘Rule of Thirds’
- Light direction and light quality
- Exploring shapes, lines, patterns, textures, and juxtaposition
- Explore colour, black and white, and shadows
- Semi-automatic and manual exposure controls.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use simple framing and cropping techniques creatively
- Apply the 'rule of thirds' to produce balanced compositions
- Explore light direction and light quality to emphasise physical characteristics of the scene
- Capture shapes, lines, patterns and textures creatively
- Explore colour, black and white, and shadows creatively
- Control semi-automatic and manual exposure confidently.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is ideal for people with some experience of photography; having some background knowledge of basic photographic technique is useful but not essential.
You will need to be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs , and be prepared to take part in online group discussion. You should be happy using numbers and able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through short presentations, demonstrations, practical exercises, online discussions, group image crits and downloadable hand outs from Google classroom. You will be expected to shoot some images between the lessons and upload them to Google classroom for group discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a reliable internet connection.
The recommended web browser is Google Chrome.
You will need a digital camera.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit has a wide range of courses covering practical and creative elements of photography, from wildlife or fashion photography, to starting your own photography business. Browse the website or prospectus to get inspired.