Looking for the Golden Fleece: Jason and the Argonauts
Time: 15:10 - 17:10
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
The first written version of the Argonauts that we know of, is dated back on the 6th century BC. However the myth was well known even before. What makes this story so unique that after centuries, it continues to fascinate and inspire all forms of art, politics and advertising?
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- archetypal structures and characters used in the myth
- Different stages in the journey of the Argonauts and their symbolism
- Historical elements used in the myth
- Debate the reflection of the journey on contemporary history and society
- How is the myth used in Modern psychology.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the language of archetypes and symbolism as well as their importance.
- why ancient myths are so relevant today and what makes this particular myth one of the most well known?
- Why is this particular myth used so widely, from Hollywood films to politics and computer games?
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Presentations by the tutor, followed by discussion.
Bibliography will be given at the end of the course. There is no need for studying before the classe.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Notepad and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any other ancient cultures class. See website for details.
Maria Contos has published many stories with mythical themes. She has also written and performed puppet shows and plays based on myths. She has adopted myths for television and theatre, teaches mythology and runs creative writing workshops. She also teaches languages.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.