What is the course about?
This is an introduction to programming Android Apps using the cloud application AppInventor 2 suitable for anyone interested in learning about programming or app development on the Android platform.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The role of Apps in phones, laptops and tablets.
• The different "parts" of an app - its components and behaviours.
• Conceptualising an app
• Turning your concepts into reality using App Inventor 2
• How to distribute your app using Google Play and elsewhere.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Describe simple programming concepts and understand how and why they are used
• Identify the different stages involved in designing and creating Android apps
• Use a device’s sensors to detect environment changes like location and orientation and respond to these
• Connect to external services like Google maps
• Produce simple apps of your choice using the App Inventor 2 software and the have the confidence to undertake independent study to further improve your skills
• Know how to distribute apps using Google Play and other platforms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is intended for beginners to the subject and while no previous experience is required any previous programming experience, or a brief study of programming concepts and terminology before the course will ease your path into this topic. You should understand that expertise in both programming and design come through practice and you will get the most from this subject by actively experimenting and discussing ideas with other students in the classroom and reserving time to think about and explore concepts between the sessions.
The course will also provide a general introduction to programming, and so may also be of interest to anyone wanting to learn more about how modern computing devices (or programmers) work. You will need to have access to an Android phone or tablet.
The AppInventor software is online and accessed via a free Google account. If you do not have a login for Gmail, or another Google service you will need to register for a Google account at https://accounts.google.com/ SignUp before the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. You will need to have access to an Android phone or tablet.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to game design, introduction to Unity 3D, Introduction to coding with Unity, introduction to programming, introduction to Python, introduction to creative coding with Processing.