What is the course about?
Understanding that it is not just the events happening around you that affect your stress levels. Whilst job losses, minimum hours contracts, lack of communication and feeling undervalued can contribute to us feeling more anxious. How you choose to think about events and what you tell yourself about them will affect you physical and mental well-being as well.
What will we cover?
• What neuroscientists know is happening in your brain when you imagine a bad scenario
• Introduction to the ABC of problem thinking to understand triggers, beliefs and consequences
• Recognising and discussing some of the ten common thinking traps that cause us to be anxious.
• Ways of disputing unhelpful beliefs and finding a healthier alternative - the ABCDE of REBT.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• To understand more about ‘triggers’ and how you personally ‘do’ anxiety
• To use the ABC’s to identify thoughts that trigger anxiety and how rational these thoughts are
• To identify which of the thinking traps you run and which ones you would be better off without
• To take away the ABC process and use it as a means of identifying and challenging anxiety.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable for anybody who is interested in understanding their emotions and lessening anxiety. Open-mindedness and curiosity are certainly an asset. To benefit fully from this course, you need to have a reasonable level of spoken English. If you are unsure please contact an advisor or the tutor.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The sessions will include theory input, demonstrations, discussions, practice in small groups and pairs, as well as experiential assignments between classes to integrate and test your learning. Handouts will be given.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pen and paper to make notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
How to identify thinking styles (using NLP) PS717
NLP a Foundation course PG630
Connecting to your purpose – with NLP PG805
Change your Behaviour using NLP PG602
What motivates you? An NLP approach PG706
NLP at Work PG670
NLP and confidence building PG757.