Masters of Cinema: early Fellini
Time: 10:30 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: HF180
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course explores the evolution of Fellini as a film-maker; from his work co-writing Roberto Rossellini’s neo-realist films of the 1940s to his worldwide success as a director in the 1950s with La Strada and Nights of Cabiria.
What will we cover?
- Explore the illusions and dreams of Fellini’s adolescent years and how he drew upon them to create his films of the 1950s.
- His work as a screenwriter for other Italian film directors.
- Focus on his private and working relationship with his wife, actor Giulietta Masina
- Make a closer examination of his films Variety Lights, The White Sheik, I Vitelloni, La Strada, Il Bidone and Nights of Cabiria.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Have a better understanding to the background and context of the 1950s films of Federico Fellini.
- Further develop skills of analysis and interpretation in your own wider film knowledge.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory level course and does not assume previous study or reading. The course is aimed at building Italian cinema appreciation but is also suitable for all who enjoy viewing and discussing film.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor presentations and screening of extracts from Fellini’s films along with textual analysis and general discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A pen and a notebook. The tutor will provide handouts to take away for further study and research.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please look for other film courses at www.citylit.ac.uk/History, Culture and Writing/film studies.
Graham Rinaldi is a freelance film lecturer and writer. He is the author of the biography on the British comic actor, Will Hay and he is currently researching his next book, the acting career of David Bowie.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.