What is the course about?
For singers in any style at any level, as well as instrumentalists/performers looking to enhance their understanding of the song form. Explore approaches and strategies to help you to memorise song lyrics. You will be shown how to turn a collection of words on a page into a personal message which is unforgettable to you.
What will we cover?
- song structure and shape, use of repetition and variation
- poetic devices and sound : rhyme, assonance, alliteration, tec.
- mnemonic techniques : visualisation, gesture, space
- finding your own story in a song.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- identify memorable features of a song
- understand your own learning process
- establish a personal connection with a lyric
- easily remember the words of a song you are working on.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have command of basic musicianship such as being able to locate a beat/pulse, and sing back (copy) simple phrases.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, and be capable of engaging in class discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching is student centred and experiential. Activities will include speaking, writing, movement, and individual research. The tutor will demonstrate and direct you in class. Constructive criticism will be given relative to your efforts. Homework will be set between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a device to record, if you can, and coloured pens and highlighters.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This short course is supplement to singing classes.