What is the course about?
An introduction to and exploration of the practice of mindfulness and how it supports and enhances creativity. Through a variety of guided exercises, including drawing from observation and from the imagination, we will explore how mindfulness can stimulate creativity and support a playful yet wholehearted engagement with it, as well as offer resources for working through common obstacles. We will also explore an enriching range of media and approaches to inspire new directions.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
An introduction to and exploration of the practice of mindfulness and how it supports and enhances creativity. Through a variety of guided exercises, including drawing from observation and the imagination, you will explore how mindfulness can help to support a light/playful, yet wholehearted engagement in creative practice. This course is suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in mindfulness and/or drawing who would like to immerse themselves in a day of creative practice or stimulate new directions. The skills offered on this one day workshop are transferable to creative disciplines other than drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify how mindfulness can support creativity in terms of increased concentration, clarity of perception and a greater ability to work with and through obstacles
• Employ a range of methods for practicing mindfulness in drawing and how this can be applied to all creative disciplines
• Practice drawing from observation and the imagination with increased confidence
• Engage a toolkit of methods and resources for exploring and developing mindfulness and creativity.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The day is suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in mindfulness and drawing who wish to re-fresh their practice or stimulate new directions
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations and hand-outs, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through guided mindfulness practices
- Demonstration of drawing methods
- Practical drawing exercises
- Pair and group discussion
- Slideshows, hand-outs and other practical learning resources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pencil, paper, eraser, pencil sharpener, 15 sheets cartridge paper e.g. A2 or A3
Additional materials (optional/extra):
Charcoal, coloured pastels, coloured pencils.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Drawing and Mindfulness
Drawing and Painting from the Imagination.