What is the course about?
On this practical course you will learn how to make engaging and fully functioning stopframe puppets from a range of materials including foam, wire, balsa wood and polystyrene. You will learn how to use the key character animation skills of key poses, timing and characterization to get a good animated performance from your puppet. As well as recording the animation you will edit the footage and export your own short puppet animation sequence.
What will we cover?
-- Creating a stopframe puppet using a range of materials and equipment
- Key poses and characterisation in character animation
- Movement, frames and timing in animation
- Recording animation using iStopMotion
- Editing animated sequence using Final Cut Pro
- Exporting project as a QuickTime movie.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create a professional standard stopframe puppet using a range of materials and equipment
- Animate puppet effectively using characterisation, key poses, movement and timing
- Set up cameras and record animation using iStopMotion
- Import footage and edit a short animated sequence using Final Cut Pro
- Export project as a QuickTime movie.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course. You need enthusiasm for animation but you do not need prior experience in model making, animation or film making.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
As well as viewing sample clips you will be shown actual examples of professional TV Stop frame Puppets in the class. You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our high definition cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, editing, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your animation practice.