What is the course about?
This is a course which allows for the development of language skills through the study of social issues and current affairs in Greece and Cyprus.
What will we cover?
- Greek literature and historical periods
- Presentations using photographs of people and places in Greece
- Expressing likes and dislikes regarding hobbies and entertainment.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- write essays on a variety of topics
- express opinion (oral & written)
- make presentations
- discuss a wide range of topics.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a level 3/4 course for those who have been studying Modern Greek for about 4 years or who have an equivalent level.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Course book: Communicate in Greek Book 3 by Kleanthes Arvanitakis and Phroso Arvanitakis. ISBN: 9789607914415. Books are available at Hellenic Book Services, 89 Fortess Rd London NW5 1AG. (020 7267 9499 www.hellenicbookservice.com 020 7267 9499).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please discuss with your tutor.