Motion graphics in Adobe After Effects
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Enhance and transform your video projects. Develop key skills in animation and compositing for your professional or personal practice. Build on and develop your previous After Effects knowledge.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
- Course Code: VO724
- Dates: 20/06/24 - 25/07/24
- Time: 18:00 - 21:00
- Taught: Thu, Evening
- Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
- Location: Online
- Tutor: John Inch
Course Code: VO724
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
On this fast paced online course you will learn the key skills in using After Effects to transform your video projects. These include planning the project, organising and preparing the material, masking skills, key framing skills and working with layers. Each week the course takes you through a set of practical exercises that help you to develop these key skills. You will be encouraged to practise the techniques you’ve learned outside the course time. You will have the opportunity to develop your own After Effects project and get feedback from the tutor and your peers.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: Asset preparation in photoshop
Session 2: 2D and 3D transformations and nested compositions
Session 3: Green screen Keying, track mattes, masking techniques, rota brush
Session 4: Creating and animating a 3D camera
Session 5: Creating and animating Text
Session 6: Combining together text and animation techniques from previous sessions and track them into a new scene.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Plan, prepare and organise your assets for an After Effects project
- Create projects and compositions and import assets
- Apply and animate a range of 2D and 3D transformations to video, image and text layers
- Apply and animate a range of effects to video, image and text layers
- Create and animate masks
- Create and animate scenes using the 3D camera
- Render, back up and archive your project.
All learners will gain experience in these techniques. Advanced learners will begin to be able to use and combine techniques to construct their own scenes beyond the exercises provided.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intensive beginners course for those happy to work at a fast pace. You are expected to have some experience in digital editing or digital design work.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught via Zoom with demo exercises, short lectures, practical exercises, and tutorials. Resources and handouts will be shared via zoom sessions and through google classroom.
During the course you will be encouraged to practice the techniques you’ve learned outside the course time. You will be invited to develop your own After Effects project and will be able to get feedback on your project from the tutor and other students.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Access to the Adobe Suite. Latest version ideal but not essential.
You will receive an email at least 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be
aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will
need to login into our Google classroom before each session starts.
You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
You will need to right version of the software.
If you do not have the software, City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course.
If you require more information please contact us on VisualArts@citylit.ac.uk
Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software:
• You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
• We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/footage. You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts to access materials.
• You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• A desktop or Laptop device capable of running the Adobe Suite with microphone, and optional camera.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your animation skills further with VK413 City Lit Animation course.
City Lit offer a range of courses in video and DSLR film making, editing, sound, animated SFX with After Effects, digital and stop motion 2D and 3D Animation and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your film making practice.
John studied Animation at the Surrey Institute of Art and Design (UCA Farnham). He specialises in 2D digital Animation and Motion Graphics using the Adobe Software packages Photoshop and After Effects. John has worked with clients such as the BBC, Framestore CFC, Egmont books, as well as independent businesses and community based start-ups. His work ranges from music videos, animated DVD menus, animated book trailers, Video Game art assets, Film Idents and digital Illustrations. He has worked in Visual Effects on high profile projects such as the movies Casino Royale and the Chronicles of Narnia 2 alongside creating his own independent animated films, which were showcased on Shortcutters television and the Bristol based DepictT! Encounters Short film festival. Always enthusiastic, patient and understanding, John is passionate about teaching software at a range of levels and aims to make his classes interesting and engaging, and equip students with the knowledge and potential to bring their own ideas to life!
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.