Motion graphics with Adobe After Effects: stage 2
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: VK565
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn motion graphics using Adobe After Effects to create complex animation, characters and titles.
Enhance and transform your video projects. Develop key skills in animation and compositing for professional or home video work. Build on previous After Effects knowledge.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: Intro, Recap. Transform and effects tools. Parenting, Nested Compositions. Renders. Google classroom. Where to find footage resources for use throughout the course (Pexels site)
Session 2: Asset preparation in photoshop, puppet tool, motion blur effects. 3D camera and Text recap
Session 3: Green screen Keying, track mattes, masking techniques, rota brush
Session 4: masking advanced, content aware fill, 3d camera, text effects
Session 5: Advanced Text effects, recap, write on effect, 3d text, kinetic text, shape layers
Session 6: Tracking and very basic action script intro. Students combine together text and animation techniques from previous sessions and track them into a new scene.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Build on previous skills to create more advanced motion graphic compositions
- Plan, prepare and organise your assets for an After Effects project
- Create projects and compositions and import assets
- Apply and animate a range of 2D and 3D transformations to video, image and text layers
- Apply and animate a range of effects to video, image and text layers
- Create and animate masks
- Create and animate scenes using the 3D camera
- Render, back up and archive your project.
All learners will gain experience in these techniques. Advanced learners will begin to be able to use and combine techniques to construct their own scenes beyond the exercises provided.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course and you need previous experience in After Effects. The course will recap each area- but will move at a fast pace. Therefore, some experience is needed.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught with demo exercises, short lectures, practical exercises, and tutorials. Resources and handouts will be shared via zoom sessions and through google classroom.
During the course you will be encouraged to practice the techniques you’ve learned outside the course time. You will be invited to develop your own After Effects project and will be able to get feedback on your project from the tutor and other students.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Access to the Adobe Suite. Latest version ideal but not essential.
You will receive an email at least 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be
aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will
need to login into our Google classroom before each session starts.
You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
You will need to right version of the software.
If you do not have the software, City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course.
If you require more information please contact us on VisualArts@citylit.ac.uk
Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software:
• You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
• We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/footage. You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts to access materials.
• You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• A desktop or Laptop device capable of running the Adobe Suite with microphone, and optional camera.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your animation skills further with VK413 City Lit Animation course.
City Lit offer a range of courses in video and DSLR film making, editing, sound, animated SFX with After Effects, digital and stop motion 2D and 3D Animation and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your film making practice.