What is the course about?
In this course of 3 meetings, you will explore the business side of the music industry and how to make the industry work for you by consolidating the course content into an action plan tailored to your individual needs.
What will we cover?
• Building a fan-base
• DIY direct to fan sales
• Income streams
• Collection societies
• Action plans.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify your USP, target audience and networking strategies
• Plan for DIY marketing considering social media (in particular YouTube), live performance, radio and press
• Describe ways of turning DIY marketing into direct to fan sales
• Recall key terms for negotiating deals with record / publishing / library companies and managers
• Explain the importance of copyright in the music industry
• Identify key music industry income streams
• Give reasons for joining UK copyright collection societies
• Write and review your action plan.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions, and take notes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Tutor presentations
• Case studies
• Question and answer
• Discussion and debate
• Group tasks
• Individual presentations by students
• Peer and self assessment.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Here is a reading list that you may wish to acquire after completing this course.
"Working in the Music Industry: How to find an Exciting and Varied Career in the World of Music" by Anna Britten (2nd ed).
"The Future of the Music Business: How to Succeed with the New Digital Technologies: A Guide for Artists and Entrepreneurs" by Steve Gordon
"How to Succeed in the Music Business New Edition" by Alex Batterbee
For reference only: "The Unsigned Guide" Music Industry directory www.theunsignedguide.com.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Music Business skills 2
Develop your music further through one of our Music technology courses, or our wide range of instrumental, vocal and musicianship courses.