What is the course about?
This course teaches the required skills for exploring the genre of nature writing. Students will be given the opportunity to go on two nature walks in London. They will workshop their writing, and the writing of other students on the course.
What will we cover?
- What are the some of the key features of the genre known as ‘New Nature Writing’?
- Which language and structural techniques are most effective for Nature Writing?
- How can setting be evoked effectively in creative non-fiction?
- Additional topics to be determined by the class output.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Write short pieces or excepts of Nature Writing based upon your own experience which create a desired effect on the reader.
- Edit and revise your writing by applying structural and language techniques taught on the course.
- Critically evaluate your own approach to nature writing to open up new avenues of exploration.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course. Previous experience of writing or attending creative writing classes is useful but not essential.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In class there will be a mix of excerpt analysis, sharing your own writing and that of other students, group work, class discussion, writing exercises and formal instruction from the tutor. Two classes will consist of nature writing walks which will take place in London.
All writing courses at City Lit will involve an element of workshop. This means that students will produce work which will be discussed in an open and constructive environment with the tutor and other students. The college operates a policy of constructive criticism, and all feedback on another student’s work by the tutor and other students should be delivered in that spirit.
For classes longer than one day, regular reading and writing exercises will be set for completion at home to set deadlines.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Writing materials are the only materials needed but books will be recommended to you to enhance and continue your learning.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in creative non-fiction, autobiographical writing and journalism. Browse the writing section of our website to find the perfect course for you.
All students are invited to join us at City Lit Talks Back, our monthly performance night for City Lit writers. Everyone is welcome, admission is free and there's no need to book in advance. Students are also encouraged to submit to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.