What is the course about?
This course is about providing you with some key ideas and skills to help you be more confident and successful in getting that first graduate job.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- The Equality Act: how could this help you?
- Effective Communication: is it all about fluency?
- The experience of stammering: what personal attributes and skills have you gained that can help you do the job and impress at interview?
- Self-advertising: is it helpful to be open about stammering?
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Identify your rights as a person who stammers and what you can reasonably expect during the recruitment process
2. Identify how you can develop your communication skills
3. Be clearer as to how you could use the experience of stammering positively
4. Understand the potential advantages about being open about stammering.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at graduates or students in their final year of study.
To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of written material with some assistance if necessary
- Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a one-day workshop that will give you ideas and skills to take away and use.
There will be some resources to read before the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can do a Stage 1 evening course or one of our intensive courses if you haven't attended one previously.
Alternatively you can do any of our Stage 2 courses including other topic-based workshops such as Public Speaking, Interview Skills.