Nutrition to slow down the ageing process: part 1
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course is all about learning how to slow down the aging process by giving your body the nutrients it needs to stay strong and healthy, and avoiding the foods and drinks which damage health and accelerate aging.
Learn which foods and drinks slow down aging and protect your body from the diseases of older age, and which foods you should be avoiding. Gain a proper understanding of why some foods are so good for us, and why some are so damaging to our bodies. This is a relaxed and friendly class where questions are welcomed. It is packed with information and you should leave it feeling inspired to make healthier decisions about what you do and don’t eat and drink.
Nutrition to slow down aging part one, and Nutrition to slow down aging part two, are two separate, standalone courses. You can take both courses, or just one. Ideally take part one first, but it doesn’t matter if you do them the other way around.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FNR22
Duration: 1 session
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is all about diet, nutrition, the human body, and the ageing process. On this course, ‘part two’, I will explain how chronic inflammation in the body is a major driver of the aging process and the diseases of older age, and how you can switch off chronic inflammation and protect your body. We will discuss the importance of blood sugar regulation in aging and health and explore how sugar and different carbohydrate rich foods influence aging. We will also cover healthy and unhealthy fats and the different types of omega fatty acids.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Causes of ageing.
- Chronic inflammation and it’s key role in the aging process and the diseases of older age
- Blood sugar regulation, insulin, sugar and carbohydrates and how they influence the aging process
- Different types of fats and oils and how they effect health
- Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids – which you need to be taking and which should be avoided
- Supplements which may help to slow the ageing process (and which are a waste of money)
- we will have a practical discussion about how to implement dietary changes which will have a big positive influence on your health and aging process.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Describe a diet which is likely to slow down the ageing process
- Explain why some people age more quickly than others
- List food sources of healthy and unhealthy carbohdrates
- Discuss which fats and oils are good for health and which are harmful
- have a clear plan as to how to improve your diet and your health
- Know how to recognise healthy foods and drinks in supermarkets
- Know when it is important to take your symptoms to the GP.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Everyone is welcome on this course!
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your English and Math skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a relaxed and very informative class. The teacher is warm and friendly and will lecture and use a PowerPoint presentation. There will be class discussion and you will be able to answer questions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Handouts will be given out but please bring a pen and notepad so you can make additional notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Try one of the other nutrition related courses from the Health and Lifestyle programme at City Lit.
Ellie Holly has been practising herbal medicine and nutritional therapy for almost twenty years. She is highly qualified and experienced at treating patients with a wide range of health issues. She has been devising, writing and delivering nutrition courses to adults for over ten years. Ellie is passionate about using her knowledge to educate and enlighten people with energy and enthusiasm so that they are empowered to make positive changes in their diets and lifestyles. To find out more about Ellie, the courses she teaches and her work seeing patients in private practise, please visit her website: www.hollyhealthcare.co.uk
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.