What is the course about?
This course with prepare you for working in an office or as a receptionist, administrator, supervisor, or in customer care. You will learn how to answer and make calls, speak to customers and work colleagues, how to sound polite, how to understand common work conversations, how to ask questions in different tenses, how to write formal and informal emails and letters, how to spell common words at work, how to read quickly and understand common documents. You will be using a computer throughout the course to at the same time as improving your English you will practise your word processing, emailing and adding attachments and organising your files.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• the main skills and language you need to work in an office or as a receptionist, administrator, supervisor, or in customer care
• how to answer and make calls,
• speaking to customers and work colleagues
• sounding polite
• understanding common work conversations
• asking questions in different tenses
• writing formal and informal emails and letters
• spelling common words at work
• punctuating accurately
• reading and understanding common documents quickly
• learning important word processing skills, emailing and adding attachments, organising your files.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use the main skills and language needed to work in an office or as a receptionist, administrator, supervisor, or in customer care
• answer and make phone calls so you understand the main parts of the conversation and use the right language
• speak to customers and work colleagues in a professional way
• understanding common face to face work conversations
• ask and answer questions in different tenses
• write formal and informal emails and letters with a good degree of grammatical accuracy
• spell common work words
• use full stops, commas, question marks, capital letters and paragraphing accurately
• read and understand common documents quickly
• carry out the main word processing skills, send emails and adding attachments, organise your files.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Entry 3-Level 1 i.e. pre-intermediate to intermediate level (B1-B2). It is ideal for anyone who can communicate in basic everyday situations but wants to be more confident, be understood better and understand people more easily at work and improve their computer skills at the same time. It will be particularly useful if you become or want to become a supervisor, administrator. You should have basic digital skills e.g. use the internet, emails, and some simple word processing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. This will be a dynamic and interactive course with lots of practice including role play. We will create office situations to help prepare you. You will use computers throughout the course. You will need to do some work outside the classroom to get the most from this course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
TThere are many courses you could do next or at the same time as this course. You could join a Entry 3 or Level 1 course with an exam. You can also do a number of courses without an exam. These courses include:
ESOL: Finding a Better Job (entry 3-level 1)
Grammar in Practice: Intermediate (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Improve your fluency (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Develop your listening skills (level 1)
ESOL communicating at work: customer care (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3-level 2).