What is the course about?
This is a mixed ability course for all who wish to understand traditional methods for creating a portrait in both drawing and painting. The class will start with drawing and progress to painting in oils. You will work primarily from observation of portrait models.
What will we cover?
- Rotation of the head
- Methods for improving observational portrait drawing
- Colour mixing in paint for portraits
- Taking inspiration from traditional portrait artists.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw portraits more accurately
- Draw portraits from a variety of view points
- Understand composition and apply it to your portraits
- Draw a head that looks three-dimensional
- Prepare a surface for painting a portrait
- Mix colours successfully from observation
- Improve your rendition of tone in portrait painting.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Open to all students.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn by practical demonstration, looking at the work of traditional portrait painters, one to one tuition, tutor demos and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic materials are provided for the course. Students may wish to purchase a canvas or board for the portrait painting element. Your tutor will advise you about this during the class.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK’s leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk.
*Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City Lit Year of Figure and Portrait course will start again in October 2018 or you may wish to join one of the following courses at the end of this term:
- VH892 Anatomical life and portrait drawing studio
- VH759 Experimental approaches to portraiture.