Painting: colour mixing
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Through practical exercises and experimentation, develop your sensitivity towards colour. Investigate the foundations of colour theory to mix and apply the colours you want.
What will we cover?
- Developing skills in mixing observed colour
- Colour theory and the science of seeing
- Mixing colour and understanding the colour wheel
- Relating theory to practice for painters.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the basics of colour theory and colour perception
- Relate colour theories to practice and improve painting
- Mix acrylic paint (some oil use)
- Take away a painted colour wheel for future reference
- Present a small painting based on observed colour mixing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners and intermediates with some painting experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Colour mixing exercises
- Group discussions-theories and practice
- Individual tuition and feedback
- Slide-selection of current and traditional examples by painters and colour theorists.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic materials for the course are provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue working with colour in one of our painting modules, such as Painting,1 or Painting 2. if you would like to pursue your own painting projects, our Drawing and painting studio: intermediate to advanced is ideal.
Chris has taught at City Lit for over 25 years and is a former co-ordinator of the CityLit Fine Art Course , stepping down to concentrate on his painting practice and to teach more on the short course programme. He studied painting at Central St Martins and the Royal College of Art and has post graduate qualifications in art history and a teaching qualification from the Institute of Education and from University of Surrey. He has understaken fellowships, residencies and travelling scholarships in Chicago, Paris, Moscow Region and West of England and has an established art practice which encompasses, drawing, painting, projection and small scale model, making. Instagram c.hough89
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.