What is the course about?
An exciting exploration of traditional and contemporary painting techniques. Through practise, discussion and guided activities, you will learn how to apply techniques to paintings and develop a working record of your personal discoveries. Painting projects will cover the techniques of four major artists and will include individual tutoring to enable you to take selected works through to completion.
What will we cover?
- Direct painting techniques including Alla Prima and wet-in-wet
- Layered techniques including scumbling and glazing
- Properties of oil and acrylic paint, including mediums and additives
- Brushes, knives and painting tools.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Select and apply a painting approach that enhances a particular idea
- Demonstrate increased skill and confidence using direct and indirect painting techniques
- Use oil and acrylic techniques in combination
- Experiment, improvise and apply personal mark-making techniques
- Complete two pieces of work that demonstrate contrasting application of techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginners to intermediate. Some basic painting experience is helpful - for example an introductory painting class where you have had a little practise in mixing colours and working from observation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical projects, demonstrations, individual guidance and feedback, group discussion and examination of artists' work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
An A4 cartridge sketchbook is useful for research and notes.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
'Develop your Painting', 'Painting: Content and Meaning', 'Contemporary Painting studio' or any of the painting courses which focus on the figure or portrait.