What is the course about?
Modern digital cameras are capable of producing very high quality images. Even simple point-and-shoot cameras with a macro (close-up) setting can be used to create impressive images of jewellery if handled correctly. Working in small groups, you will use a range of impressive but easily grasped techniques to produce a striking set of images of your own jewellery.
Learn how to photograph your jewellery to produce high quality images for your website or promotional materials. Your will learn the basics of using a digital camera and lighting on this practical course. Please bring your own jewellery to photograph in each class.
What will we cover?
- The requirements of shooting macro photography (small objects)
- Photographing your jewellery against white, black, coloured and textured backgrounds
- Using light to enhance your photographs
- The effect of high and low contrast lighting
- Control of the colour of images
- Resizing images for web and print.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- create sharp, correctly exposed, colour-correct images of jewellery using a digital camera
- photograph your jewellery against white, black, coloured and textured backgrounds
- use a macro lens or macro facility to photograph small items
- control the contrast of your images
- prepare images for web and print (resizing and sharpening) using relatively simple software techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for beginners; even if you have little camera knowledge you'll be able to pick up the requisite skills quickly and easily.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical course, you will work in small groups with supervision and tutor demonstrations.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own jewellery to photograph in each class. We can provide digital SLRs, some macro lenses, tripods and lighting in the studio but if you have a camera with manual settings please bring this to the class. You may also wish to bring your own small backgrounds.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs several studio lighting, still life and macro photography courses. Browse the website or prospectus to find out more.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details