What is the course about?
The course takes a indepth look at Photoshop's range of creative features and tools. We'll start with the basics and quickly move on to more advanced Photoshop skills and techniques.
What previous students liked most about this course: .
“ No pressure and a great teacher who was both knowledgeable and patient.”
“Loved all of it!.”
“The teaching process during those weeks always included new information.”
What will we cover?
- An overview of the main tools, features and commands of Photoshop.
- Introduction to Photoshop layers, selections and colour adjustments.
- Creating photo collages and montages.
- Approaches to enhancing your digital images.
- Experiment and combine low-tech and high-tech processes to create original designs.
- Applying special effects and styles effects to your photos.
- Constructing and managing multi-layered compositions.
- Techniques for layer editing and manipulation.
- Setting and modifying text using a variety of type tools, the Character and Paragraph panels.
- Explore non-destructive Photoshop features for maintaining image quality.
- Applying colour adjustments to digital images.
- Defining, refining and editing selections.
- Analyse and adjust an image’s dimensions and resolution.
- Utilising guides, grids and rulers for clearer layout and composition.
- Saving images for print and web output.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Produce photo collages and montages.
- Apply a range of Photoshop special effects and filters to images.
- Use the selection tools to isolate areas of an image.
- Construct and manage multi-layered images.
- Incorporate and manipulate text.
- Utilise a variety of tools to edit localised areas.
- Apply colour adjustments to digital images.
- Utilise a variety of Photoshop masking techniques.
What previous students have achieved on this course: .
“Beginning to understand the different tools, layers, masks and blending filters tools.”
“I learned new knowledge of Photoshop. Big thank you to Andrea!.”
“I learned all the basic tools and techniques such as patterns, filters and blending modes.”
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for people who are new to Photoshop. No prior experience of Photoshop is required.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
One to one guidance and support will be given throughout.
Use of Adobe Photoshop outside the class will be beneficial which can be downloaded from Adobe.com for a 30 day trial for free and then for less than £10 per month. Https://creative.adobe.com/plans.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Books will be recommended but are not essential purchases. Printing costs are covered on the course. A CD-R will also be provided for storing work.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Your Tutor will advise you about your progression. See the programme guide for further details.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details