Piano/keyboards: exploring Grade 2 pieces
Time: 14:30 - 16:30
Location: Keeley Street
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
This course offers an opportunity to consolidate your piano learning at a Grade 2 standard through study of selected pieces from the current ABRSM exam syllabus. There will be a focus on learning two contrasting pieces whilst maintaining good practice of scales and arpeggios, musicianship skills and sight-reading. Please bring your own copy of the music (see section below).
What will we cover?
- Study of two contrasting pieces from the current ABRSM exam syllabus
- Legato technique
- Aural training with special attention to recognition of features such as dynamics as well as rhythm patterns.
- Sight-reading skills, developing the ability to identify patterns and continuity.
- Relaxation and finger strength technique.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand clearly the requirements of a grade 2 examination
- Identify and begin learning two pieces in contrasting styles
- Play with better legato and staccato technique
- Develop your musicianship so that you can identify time signatures by ear
- Demonstrate more accurate musical listening due to the work on aural training
- Consolidate your scale and arpeggio playing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- Students need to have been playing for at least two years and/or completed at least City Lit Piano/keyboards 2A meaning that you are ready to approach music of ABRSM Grade 2 standard.
- If you are new to City Lit piano classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a piano class at City lit which lists our full sequence of piano classes.
- You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Group work, playing together in parts or in unison
- Playing solo in front of the class (optional)
- Private study on digital pianos while using headphones (provided)
- Tutor demonstration with question & answer, and discussion sessions
- Practical session with aural and theoretical tasks (clapping rhythms, identifying major/minor sounds by ear)
- Students should practise a minimum of 30 minutes a day between classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You need access to a piano/keyboard between classes for practice (acoustic or digital piano).
Please buy your own copy of: Piano Exam Pieces 2021 & 2022, ABRSM Grade 2 [external website].
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you are new to City Lit piano classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a piano class at City lit which lists our full sequence of piano classes.
Ana Claudia Magalhaes is from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She has a degree in Music (main instrument Piano) at the School of Music of Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. She also attended for many years, the piano class of Gloria Maria da Fonseca Costa, a former pupil of Alexander Siloti. Gloria Maria was a major influence and inspiration in Ana's piano studies. Ana came to London in 1996, where she took the Post Graduate and MA degree in Music Teaching at the Professional Practice at the University of Reading. She has a passion for teaching, individually and in groups, from beginners to advanced, children and adults and she enjoys adapting her teaching according to the main needs of her students/classes. Although her main Musical Education was Classical, Ana has also developed the ability to improvise and play by ear since her teens when playing in bands with her youth friends and she thinks this freedom was very important for her formation as a musician. Ana plays solo but she also enjoys mainly playing chamber music, accompanied by other people. She has combined teaching and performing since she lived in Brazil.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.