What is the course about?
This mixed-level course is intended for pianists Grade 2-5 who are returning to playing after a long break but who are unsure of their standard. Taught online via webcam, you will receive individual help on a piece of your choice during supervised practice sessions and enjoy group activities to refresh your knowledge of notation and piano technique.
What will we cover?
- How to practise effectively
- Refresh your knowledge of music notation
- Sharpen your aural (listening) skills
- Tutor advice for choosing suitable music
- Individual help on a solo piece
- Selected technical exercises (eg. Hanon, Czerny).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of your current level and future practice goals
- Follow examples in the resources booklet and study a piece of your own choice
- Receive advice on a suitable level of course to join our main programme of workshops.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be of an approximate grade 2-5 standard and have had regular piano tuition in the past. You will need to bring a piece that you have started to learn from our practiec booklet and can play in part to work on during online study sessions.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Tutor presentation and explanation, including handouts
- Class discussion and debate
- Supervised practice sessions with individual advice from the tutor
- Students should aim to practice minimum 20 mins/ 6 days per week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a notebook and pen and at least two pieces of music to practice.
Please download our
" target="_blank"> resources booklet and prepare a piece of your choice to play at the first session. You may wish to play just an extract of one of these pieces. This booklet is comprised of copyright-free music from IMSLP.org.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course will prepare you to join a Piano/keyboards or Piano workshop class in September. Your tutor advise which level would suit you.
You may also be interested in courses in Keyboard harmony, Keyboard improvisation, practical musicianship, music theory or music appreciation. Please check the course guide or contact the music department for advice.