Time: 09:15 - 10:15
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FJF96
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
Developing your Pilates knowledge and practice further in a fun and engaging environment. Learning to develop your
body awareness, core strength, balance, posture, coordination and breathing techniques. These directly translate
to improving your ability to deal with everyday life and improve functional movement. A variety of exercises are
performed, flowing smoothly from one to the other whilst focusing on technique and control. Unlike other body
conditioning methods, Pilates focuses on working with a mild engagement of the core muscles in order to be
effective. Variations are given for exercises to meet the needs of individual learners.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Students will learn how to improve their Pilates through performing a series of exercises, that includes learning how to:
• build strength from the core of the body
• improve posture muscular strength and flexibility
• improve breathing technique and movement to increase relaxation
• perform more challenging exercises using small equipment
• improve body awareness.
Each class will have a varied theme. Themes will include: working the abdominals/improving core strength; working for a healthy, strong back; hip, thigh and leg exercise; improving posture; learning efficient breathing patterns.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of this course learners will be able to demonstrate the following:
• use core muscles effectively
• improve muscular strength and endurance
• use small equipment including resistance bands, rollers and small balls to improve their mat based practice.
• practise relaxation techniques to de-stress.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for learners with the following motivators:
• learners who have some knowledge of Pilates and want to improve their practice
• those who want to improve their muscular strength
• those who want to improve their core strength
• improve their physical health and well being
• who want to relax and de-stress at work.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learning will be delivered through the following learning methods and strategies:
• Practical sessions
• Following tutor demonstration
• Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
• Explanations including visualisation
• One-to-one guidance from the tutor
• Group work
• Printed hand outs
- Encouraging regular practice between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. All equipment will be provided. You should wear loose, comfortable clothing and socks, and bring a towel with you. Information on books will be
given during the course, but these are not essential. Avoid eating at least one and a half hours prior to exercising.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students can choose other courses from our Health and Lifestyle programme.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on
Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.
Designed to stretch, move and relax you; Cathy's classes are fun and welcoming both to beginners and regulars. She passionately believes that everyone can benefit from exercise as it leads to positive mental and physical changes to everyday life. Cathy has over 10 years experience; holding qualifications in Pilates and Movement for Older People, and is training to teach Yoga. Her clients include everyone from new mothers, older adults and young professionals to those with specialist needs including arthritis, back pain and MS. Clients are welcome to vist her sessions - please come along and give it a go.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.