What is the course about?
Pilates is a form of body conditioning that concentrates on building strength from the core of the body. On this course, learn controlled movements and breathing patterns that will improve posture, muscular strength, mobility and breathing. A variety of exercises are performed, flowing smoothly from one to the other whilst focusing on technique and control.
What will we cover?
Each class will have a varied theme, including:
- Standing well
- Basic knowledge of alignment
- Breathing patterns
- Working the abdominals
- Working for a healthy, strong back
- Hip, thigh and leg exercise.
Each class builds upon the last so that you gradually become more physically challenged and as your body responds you feel more in tune and aware of your movements and stature.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use core muscles effectively
- Practise lateral breathing
- Perform muscular strength and endurance exercises
- Have a working knowledge of how to improve standing posture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
A range of Pilates levels are offered at the City Lit and you are advised to choose the level that is the most appropriate. This course is specifically for beginners, and those completely new to Pilates. At this level you will learn all of the basic principles and technique before being introduced to more challenging exercises. This is also a good level for anyone recovering from injury or illness. You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Practical class work, following tutor demonstration
- Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
- Some one-to-one guidance from the tutor.
Although there is no specific work set outside of the class, students will gain most benefit if exercises are performed regularly and practised between classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose, comfortable clothing and socks, and bring a towel with you. Information on books will be given during the course, but these are not essential.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students can progress to Pilates mixed levels.