What is the course about?
This half-day session addresses various issues that could arise in the course of constructing and working with pivot tables.
What will we cover?
•The field-item question: how to organize data before they reach the pivot table
• Grouping data and rounding them off: possible pitfalls
• Why grouping data in one pivot table groups them in others in the same workbook (whether you want that to happen or not), along with a workaround
• Relational pivot table queries
• Issues in data integrity: repairing defective records
• Calculated fields – when do you need one?
• Generating a count of unique records in a data set
• Pivot tabling Access and XML data.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Refine your pivot table diagnostic skills, so you'll be better prepared to resolve data issues that may stand in the way of completing productive tables.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The session assumes the user is familiar with pivot tables.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will work with practice files stored on a City Lit shared folder. Some suggested post-class assignments may be issued.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No additional costs or materials to bring.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Excel: advanced, Excel: financial modelling, Data analysis with Power BI.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details