What is the course about?
Explore the relationship between film and poetic form in this fun short course designed to inspire your pen. Students will have the opportunity to take part in numerous writing exercises prompted by characters, settings, messages and moments that originated on the big screen.
What will we cover?
- Common connections between poetry and film.
- Writing poetry inspired by cinematic imagery.
- Writing poetry inspired by characters and themes captured on film.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop your understanding of the connections between poetry and film.
- Write first draft poetry inspired by cinematic imagery.
- Write first draft poetry inspired by characters or themes captured on film.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course. Students will need to be able to write in fluent English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be taught through a mixture of tutor instruction, analysis of film clips and poetry excerpts, short writing activities and pair work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring writing materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.