What is the course about?
Continue the work covered in Pop piano 1 and develop your piano technique and musicianship for playing contemporary music in appropriate rhythmic and harmonic language. Learn to navigate classic and contemporary pop song styles.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Revise pop piano 1 harmony and develop triads into 7th chords
- Revise modes of the major scale.Learn how to use them as passing notes, chord extensions and for improvisation
- Lots of rhythm and co-ordination exercises, with the expectation that you practise these between classes
- Learn songs that exemplify a variety of pop styles.
- rehearse regularly with a metronome and/or backing tracks.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play styles like reggae, rock ballad and pulse-based accompaniment
- Continue with your effective practice routine
- Improve your interpretation of chord symbols
- Begin to improvise with confidence
- Improve your rhythm skills and sensitivity to time.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to read music for piano and be familiar with diatonic chord symbols such as D, Dm, D7 etc.,and the cycle of 5ths. Co-ordination and understanding of the keyboard as stipulated for Pop piano 1. Command of major and minor scales is essential to everything we do here.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in live online sessions through exercises, tunes and accompaniment practised as a group; counting, practising co-ordination of hands, singing along, and opportunities for improvisation. Some sight reading and listening to recorded examples, and playing along to backing tracks.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have manuscript paper and a pencil.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress to Pop piano 3. Also Latin piano and jazz piano 1.