Portrait studies from life
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO261
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Through practical exercises, you will create drawings and paintings from the live model [online] to develop and depict portraiture. Different strategies will be investigated, such as composition, scale, proportions, tone, colour, and painting with a restricted palette as an exploration of portraiture, referencing artists who use particular approaches and techniques to represent the human face. These exercises and your analysis will help you develop ways to express portraiture.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The exercises will focus on exploring methods to represent the portrait, while developing your skills in drawing and painting. We will cover:-
• Drawing with tone and colour to depict the portrait
• Tonal portrait painting to articulate structure and form.
• Portrait painting using a restricted palette of colours to mix flesh tones
• Analysis and discussion of artists to support the development of your portraits.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Develop your observational drawing skills for portraiture.
• Explore a range of mark-making applications to draw and paint the portrait.
• Develop knowledge of colour mixing for portraiture.
• Acknowledge art historical references relating to methods and techniques for portraiture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Some basic drawing skills are required. This course is a continuation and development from Module 1 and is suitable for beginners who have some experience drawing and more experienced learners who would like to develop drawing and painting techniques to represent the portrait.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• This course will be taught online using live Zoom and Google Classroom through weekly sessions and/or video demonstrations. You will need to download the Zoom app before the first class.
• Examples of artists, techniques, materials and approaches will be shown/discussed as an introduction to the practical activities which will involve drawing/painting from observation on zoom and will be supported through one-on-one and group discussions.
• Lecture slides /Feedback/, Q & A/ group chats using Google classroom and during live sessions
• You will have the opportunity to engage with your tutor and the rest of your online learning community using live sessions on zoom and on google classroom
• Online resource, inspiration and handouts
• A computer or laptop with a fully updated google chrome browser works best for live sessions
• Headphones with microphones to block out all room noise in sessions
or you can use a tablet or phone but your device will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
• The course will have its own Google classroom which will be used for; class communication, as a repository for class resources, including handouts, shared research suggestions, classwork etc. On enrolment you will be given codes to access this. The research and preparation before each session will be available on google classroom as information, images and handouts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
As this is an online course you will need to have a suitable working space eg a desk/table/easel .
Pencil eg 2B, 3B, 4B, rubber, willow charcoal sticks, a compressed charcoal stick, coloured chalk pastels
Canvas or acrylic painting paper. Alternatively, a watercolour sheet or good quality cartridge paper could be used.
Acrylic paints. Main colours:- Cadmium red or Vermillion, Yellow Ochre, Titanium White, Ivory Black, Ultramarine, Lemon Yellow
Optional: Acrylic retarder medium [This slows the drying time of acrylic paints when mixing – alternatively a fine sprayer with water.]
Brushes [ synthetic ] Flats or Filberts, No’s 4, 8 and 12.
Palette for mixing colours, jar for water, palette knife for mixing colours, rag/cloth for cleaning brushes You will be supplied with a full materials list when you enrol
You will be supplied with a full materials list when you enrol.
A computer or laptop with a fully updated browser google chrome browser works best.
- You will need to login into our Google classroom before our sessions start, details will be provided ahead of the start date.
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a large range of portrait and life drawing courses available online and in the building at Citylit.
Paul is an artist who works with drawing, painting and printmaking. He was educated at Jacob Kramer College of Art, Leeds, where he received an Art and Design Foundation certificate. Then after studying at Cyprus College of Art he completed a BA in painting at Winchester School of Art and later an MA certificate in painting at the Royal College of Art. As a tutor he has experience of delivering a wide variety of art courses, Paul prefers an open-minded approach to teaching, supporting learners through developing the skills they already have, while offering demonstrations, guidance and advice that help new learners to explore a basic grounding in drawing and painting skills. This attitude relates to his eclectic and varied approach to working, traversing both abstract and representational imagery. ‘What I enjoy about teaching art is the way that learners respond to exercises and projects in different ways and seeing the development of their work as a personal exploration. It shows an actual record of an individuals thoughts and feelings and I think the purpose of teaching is to embrace and support this.’
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.