What is the course about?
The course aims to provide further knowledge and understanding of the Portuguese language and to develop all 4 language skills.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Quick revision. Portuguese grammar, the various forms of the past tense, colloquial and formal language, development of oral skills. Listening comprehension, reading, written projects and homework will be given for a complete integration, development and consolidation of all language skills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- talk about actions in the past which happened before another past action took place
- talk about tourism and ecology
- compare things and express an opinion
- gain an insight into aspects of Portuguese-speaking countries' way of life and culture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Level 2 lower course: students should have studied Portuguese for about a year recently and should be able to express themselves in Portuguese in the simple forms of present, past and future, and to communicate, using basic everyday situations.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course is based on the tutor's own materials but you might want to purchase a book for home study. Please ask the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Portuguese 2 upper module 1: in September. Please enrol as early as possible to avoid disappointment.