What is the course about?
The course aims to provide further knowledge and understanding of the Portuguese language. It also gives an insight into Portuguese-speaking countries' culture and ways of life.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will continue developing all four skills, with emphasis on speaking and listening. A talk on a topic of the student’s choice to be given at the end of the term will help to build up confidence and explore the language. Homework will be given for a complete integration of all skills. Topics will include current affairs, the press, modern technology, leisure and free time, beliefs and superstitions, food and customs.
Grammar: further uses of the subjunctive and indirect speech, idiomatic expressions, other grammatical points to be negotiated during the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- use some more tenses of the subjunctive mode with confidence
- - conservation of the natural world
- literature and the arts
- political issues
- heritage and history
- more topics to be negotiated.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to express yourself in Portuguese fairly accurately, specially the use of present, future and the various forms of past tense, and have studied Portuguese for at least four years.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on the tutor’s own materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Portuguese 4 module 3. Please enrol early to avoid disappointment.